- 5 lbs beef short ribs
- 2 oz oil
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups beef broth
- 2 cups red wine
- ½ cup tomato paste
Cheesy Potato Puree:
- 4 medium russet potatoes peeled
- 1 tbsp salt
- 5 oz cream cheese
- 2 oz heavy cream
- 4 tbsp feta cheese
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Clean excess fat from beef. Salt liberally and rest in fridge overnight.
- Heat oil in large pan over medium heat. Brown ribs evenly and remove from pan.
- Using the same pan, heat remaining oil until smoking. Add celery, carrots, and onions and caramelize. Add thyme, peppercorns, garlic and bay leaves. Cook until aromatic, about 2 minutes.
- Add red wine, Add beef stock, then short-ribs and bring to simmer. Cover with aluminum foil and braise in oven for 3 to 4 hours, or until meat is very tender.
- Remove short ribs from liquid. Strain cooking liquid through a china cap and discard solids.
- In a saucepan cover peeled potatoes with cold water by at least 2 inches, bring to a boil and simmer till potatoes are cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Drain well and return to the saucepan and mash by hand incorporating remaining ingredients.
- Season with Salt and pepper to taste